- Our Vision
- Our Commitment
- Our Story
- Power Facts
- Key Performance Metrics
The Hawaiian Electric Company offer tips to safely light up your holidays
Release Date: 12/1/2017
HONOLULU, Dec. 1, 2017 - This season, light up your holidays safely with these electrical tips from Hawaiian Electric:
- Buy holiday lights that bear the mark of a safety standards testing lab, such as UL, ETL, or CSA.
- For decorating outside, buy light strands, lighted displays, and extension cords rated for outdoor use.
- Before stringing holiday lights, check for frayed wires, cracked insulation, and damaged sockets. Replace defective light strands.
- When decorating outdoors, keep yourself, your ladder, and decorations at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines.
- Don't use staples or nails to hang light strands, and don't hang them on metal rain gutters and railings or on chain-link fences.
- Turn off or unplug light strands and lighted displays when you go to bed or leave the house.
- Consider using ENERGY STAR®-certified, decorative light strands, which use 75 percent less energy than traditional incandescent light strands. Bulbs are cool to the touch, reducing the risk of fire.