Telephone scam alert: Businesses targeted by utility impersonators
Release Date: 9/16/2016
KAHULUI, September 16, 2016 – Maui Electric Company is warning customers about an increased number of reports of telephone scams to utility customers. Recently, business customers have reported receiving telephone calls saying that their electric bill is delinquent and that they're subject to same-day disconnection. The businesses were directed to pay their utility bills by purchasing certain types of money vouchers or to call back a provided 1-800 number for payment.
If customers receive a suspicious call from someone claiming to represent the company, Maui Electric encourages customers to call the Maui Electric Customer Service Center at:
- Maui: 871-9777
- Lanai and Molokai: 1-877-871-8461 (toll free)
In addition, Maui Electric is reminding customers:
- Do not provide personal, confidential, or financial information to any unidentified individuals or callers.
- Scammers may use technology to fake a caller ID, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Get the caller's name, phone number and company name.
- Exercise caution when responding to unsolicited phone calls. If customers feel unsure about the identity of a caller, they should hang up and don't call back the phone number provided by the caller. Check a reliable source for a Maui Electric contact number such as a phone book, electric bill or at www.hawaiianelectric.com.
- Report any suspicious activity to police.
- Maui Electric employees would never direct you to make a payment at any location other than our customer service office and the options noted below.
Customers wishing to pay their electric bills in person may do so at Maui Electric's Kahului office, Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Other legitimate payment options include:
- U.S. mail
- Maui, Lanai, Molokai: PO Box 1670, Honolulu, HI 96806-1670
- Online at www.hawaiianelectric.com
- Walk-in payments may be made at First Hawaiian Bank, Walmart, or Western Union locations (Foodland, Kmart, Sack-N-Save, Safeway, Times Supermarket)
- By phone through charge, checking/savings debit card, or electronic check (fees apply)