- Household Tips and Resources
- Rebates through Hawaii Energy
- Calculate Energy Consumption
- Energy Savings Toolkits
- Energy Saving for Businesses
- Time of Use Program
- Demand Response
Demand Response Logins
Automatic Fast DR Customer
Large Business or Residential Customer
For more information about Hawaiian Electric Company's Demand Response program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 94-power (947-6937).
Fast Demand Response
Fast DR is a new program designed to help keep the electric grid stable and prevent unplanned outages when electricity demand may exceed generation capacity. Customers enrolled in the program proactively reduce their electrical consumption during such emergencies and are rewarded with financial incentives.
As the Hawaiian Electric companies move toward a grid comprised of higher levels of as-available or intermittent renewable generation (solar, wind), Fast DR can also provide an additional resource to reduce electricity demand until additional generating units are brought online.
While Fast DR requires some automation, customers always maintain complete control and can opt out of having their demand impacted at any time. For commercial and industrial customers who qualify, Hawaiian Electric places automatic or semi-automatic controllers on non-essential equipment.
Look Who's Saving:
Pacific Guardian Tower
Starwood Hotels & Resorts
Shriners Hospitals for Children - Honolulu
Pacific Park Plaza
Waikiki Galleria Tower
For more information, please email us at email@example.com or call 94-POWER (947-6937).
Fast DR Basics
- Energy reduction available 7 am to 9 pm weekdays (excluding federal/state holidays)
- DR (reduction) events may last a maximum of 1 hour
- Energy use must be reduced within 10 minutes of event initiation
- Choose to participate in 40 events ($5/kW) or 80 events ($10/kW) per year
- Any non-essential process or equipment
- HVAC use
- Non-essential indoor and outdoor lighting, signage, window displays
- Fountains, saunas, pool or hot tub heating and pumps
- Excess elevator banks or escalators (as permitted)
Reduced electric bills for participation
- Choose to participate in 40 or 80 events.
- $5/kW for 40 events per year
- $10/kW for 80 events per year
- If customers can designate the minimum load shed requirement of 50 kilowatts (kW), they receive a yearly credit of at least $3,000 ($5/kW) or $6,000 ($10/kW), whether or not a DR event is initiated. An additional $5 or $10 per month incentive will be issued for each kW available for shed above the 50kW minimum.
Energy reduction incentive
- Energy reduction incentives are calculated for each DR event, based on the actual energy reduction compared to the amount a customer would have used (calculated on a 10-day average baseline). For each hour that energy is not consumed, the customer earns 50 cents per kW.
- A free, no-obligation evaluation will be performed to determine your facility's demand response opportunities.
- Free Preliminary Assessment and Technical Audit.
- Upgrades to your facility's Building Management System are available to enable participation in DR events.
- Monitoring and control equipment upgrades
- Minor Infrastructure upgrades
Access via the Web
Fast DR provides access to a secure website showing energy use data, demand response event history, and opt-out processing to temporarily withdraw from participation, either before or during a DR event.
How Your Company Can Qualify for Fast DR
Any commercial or industrial customer able to commit to a minimum of 50 kilowatts (kW) for demand reduction is eligible. Final enrollment depends on results of a Technical Audit that includes evaluating the facility energy profile and recommending DR use plans. Qualified customers may choose either Automatic or Semi-Automatic Fast DR.
Hawaiian Electric will work with each customer to develop the best DR strategies, customizing a curtailment plan that maximizes incentive payments while minimizing the impact of operations. Additionally, Hawaiian Electric will fund enabling technology to help automate curtailments and in effect, automate energy savings.
Steps to Fast DR
- Schedule a Preliminary Assessment and/or Technical Audit
- Assist Hawaiian Electric in performing the assessment and/or audits
- Review audit findings and decide if program benefits are worth while
- Develop DR response load reduction plans
- Determine equipment, software requirements, and upgrades
- Sign Fast DR agreement with Hawaiian Electric
- Arrange for installation of load reduction equipment, enablement, testing, and commissioning
- Begin collecting monthly participation incentives!
For more information, call 94-POWER (947-6937).