Rice Pudding with Mango Compote
Featured in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on August 17, 2011.
2 cups cooked white rice
3 cups reduced fat milk
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup Mango Compote (see recipe below) or any fresh seasonal fruit
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium mango, diced (about ½ cup)
1 tablespoon sugar
- Combine rice, milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer and stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Stir the mixture continuously to prevent burning.
- Cook until just about all of the milk is absorbed and the mixture has thickened (about 15-20 minutes).
- Divide rice pudding into individual serving dishes, top with mango compote or fresh, diced fruit and serve warm or chilled.
Makes 6 servings.
- Place all ingredients into a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mango is soft (about 10 minutes).
Makes about ½ cup.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
260 calories, 6 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 27 g sugar, 6 g protein
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per ½ cup serving:
300 calories, 23 g fat, 14 g saturated fat, 60 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g sugar, 1 g protein