- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt; blend thoroughly.
- Add oil and water to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- If using butter, cut into flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add water and blend thoroughly.
- Shape into balls using approximately one tablespoon of dough.
- Flatten dough to form circles.
- Place a generous teaspoonful of koshi or tsubushi an in center of each circle and pinch edges together to seal.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Variations: Substitute the koshi or tsubushi an with apple pie filling.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on oil):
320 calories, 19 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 4 g protein