- Boil and simmer pork for 40 minutes; drain, cool, and dice.
- Fry pork in frying pan over medium heat for 10-12 minutes until oil is rendered and pork is crispy.
- Add miso, sugar, ginger juice and sake.
- Lower heat and cook for additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with hot rice or as a filling in musubi.
Makes 9 servings.
Note: to make ginger juice, grate ginger into a bowl, strain through cheese cloth and squeeze. Or place grated ginger into a garlic press and extract juice.
This is the family recipe of the late Stanley Ikei, former culinary instructor at Leeward Community College. Stanley personally prepared the undansu for the early Okinawan Festivals at McCoy Pavilion and Thomas Square.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:(not including rice):
500 calories, 29 g fat, 10 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, greater than 2000 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 39 g sugar, 11 g protein