- In a soup pot over high heat, combine the beans, water, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer until the beans are tender, 60-75 minutes.
- Drain the beans, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid; discard the bay leaf.
- Place the cooked beans into a large bowl and set aside pot for later.
- In a small bowl, combine the reserved cooking liquid and 1/2 cup of cooked beans.
- Mash with a fork to form a paste.
- Stir bean paste into the cooked beans.
- Return pot to the stove, add olive oil, onions, and carrots; sauté until the carrots are tender-crisp, 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, rosemary, stock, kale, and bean mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat; simmer until the stew is heated through and kale leaves are wilted and tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Ladle the stew into warmed bowls and top with Parmesan shavings.
Makes 6 servings
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
350 calories, 7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 16 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 19 g protein