- Combine egg yolks and sugar in the top of a double boiler, over boiling water.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whip yolks until thick and lemon-colored.
- Add mascarpone to whipped yolks, beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream to stiff peaks.
- Gently fold whipped cream in the Mascarpone mixture; set aside.
- Dip each ladyfinger into the espresso just long enough to get them wet; do not soak them.
- Arrange ladyfingers in the bottom of a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Spoon half the mascarpone cream filling over the ladyfingers.
- Repeat process with another layer of ladyfingers.
- Add another layer of tiramisu cream and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Dust with cocoa before serving.
Makes 18 servings.
Tip: When Mascarpone cheese is unavailable, you may substitute 8 ounces full fat cream cheese, 1/4 cup whipping cream and 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter; whip until just blended. This will give the equivalent of around 1 1/4 cups mascarpone.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on 18 servings):
360 calories, 27 g fat, 15 g saturated fat, 180 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 6 g protein