- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Peel shallots, drizzle with oil and wrap in foil.
- Peel ginger and cut into thin slices.
- Arrange in a single layer, drizzle with oil, and wrap in foil.
- Pull the outer paper off garlic.
- Cut the tips off the heads of garlic so cloves are partially exposed.
- Drizzle with oil, and wrap each head of garlic in foil.
- Place all foil packets on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove ginger (it should be soft), increase temperature to 400°F, and roast shallots and garlic for another 30 minutes until golden brown.
- When cooled, squeeze garlic cloves.
- While the aromatics are roasting, pour boiling water over the chili peppers to rehydrate them.
- Let them soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain water.
- Put all ingredients in food processor.
- Pulse or puree until yellow curry paste reaches your desired consistency.
- Paste keeps for about a week in the fridge or freeze.
Makes 2 cups.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per teaspoon serving (based on 8 tablespoons of drizzled oil):
20 calories, 1.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 0 g protein