- In a Dutch oven or casserole, brown beef in butter.
- Place pickling spice in the center of a piece of cheesecloth or a coffee filter and tie it tightly with a long piece of string.
- Add tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, wine vinegar, salt, pepper, pickling spice, and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat; simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from casserole and add the onions to the remaining sauce.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the onions are cooked.
- Return meat to casserole, add walnuts and potatoes; simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 12 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
330 calories, 14 g fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 70 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 24 g protein