- Adjust oven rack to lower third position; heat oven at 350°F.
- Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together molasses and hot water.
- In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter on high until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar; beat on high for 1 minute until well creamed.
- On medium-high, beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Scrape down sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- On low, add dry ingredients in three additions, alternating the hot water/molasses, and mixing each addition until incorporated.
- Avoid overmixing.
- Batter will be thin.
- Whisk out any big lumps.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before removing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, orange juice and orange zest.
- Drizzle over cooled loaf.
Note: Recipe can be converted using 3 mini pans. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, then test with a toothpick every five minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
220 calories, 7 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g sugar, 2 g protein