Roasted Thyme Chicken in Duck Fat
Featured in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on March 22, 2017.
6 chicken thighs, skin on at room temperature
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons duck fat, divided
1 lemon, sliced into 6 pieces
6 fresh thyme sprigs
1 head of garlic, top sliced off
A selection of vegetables cut into 1 inch pieces: 1 beet, 2 turnips, 1 onion, 3 carrots
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Pat chicken dry and place in a large baking pan.
- Add two tablespoons of duck fat to pan, massaging it into the chicken evenly.
- Arrange each thigh onto a lemon slice and a sprig of thyme in pan, skin side up.
- Place garlic head in corner of the pan.
- Toss vegetables in a bowl with remaining duck fat.
- Add to baking dish surrounding the thighs.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes until chicken is 160 degrees.
Makes 6 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
600 calories, 46 g fat, 13 g saturated fat, 2000 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 33 g protein