- Heat oven to 375°F.
- In a small pot over low heat, melt butter.
- Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Let garlic cook for 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl add bread, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, and 1/4 cup Parmigiana cheese.
- Drizzle the garlic butter over bread mixture and arrange bread on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden and evenly brown, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Salt the eggplant and drain it in a colander for 30 minutes to remove the bitterness.
- Meanwhile, blacken the skins of red peppers over open flame on the stove or under a hot broiler.
- Leave oven ajar to allow steam to escape.
- Put blackened peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool.
- Peel, seed and dice the peppers.
- While peppers cool, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add eggplant, zucchini, remaining sliced garlic, onions, rosemary and remaining 1 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then cover the pot and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stewed tomatoes to pot.
- Stir in red peppers and 1/2 tomato-can of water and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes to concentrate the flavors.
- Scoop ratatouille into shallow bowls and top with croutons, torn basil and remainder parmigiana cheese.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt for eggplant):
560 calories, 22 g fat, 10 g saturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 1200 mg sodium, 790 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 22 g sugar, 17 g protein