- In a large saucepan, add broth and heat on low heat until needed.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil on medium high heat; sauté onion and garlic until onions are softened.
- In a separate deep pan, melt butter on medium heat and add rice.
- Cook until rice is just toasted.
- (Toasting the rice is important to bring out the flavor and absorb the liquid better.)
- Add onions, garlic and nutmeg to rice.
- Mix together.
- Add cooking wine and stir until rice has absorbed most of liquid.
- Pour in 3 cups heated broth, one at a time, stirring constantly, until liquid is almost completely absorbed before adding next cup.
- After 3 cups of broth are absorbed, add pumpkin.
- Stir in remaining stock, one cup at a time, letting rice absorb each cup before adding more.
- Rice should be tender.
- Stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
- Allow to rest and thicken before serving.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth broth):
400 calories, 15 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 53 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 13 g protein