- Fill large stock pot with water to about 2/3 full.
- Add ham hocks, Portuguese sausage, onions and celery in water and cover; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours until ham hocks are completely cooked (meat falling off bone).
- Remove ham hocks and Portuguese sausage from broth.
- Cut ham hocks into small pieces and slice Portuguese sausage; set aside.
- Add beans to broth mixture; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until beans are cooked; add water if more broth is needed.
- Add tomato sauce, carrots, potatoes, ham hocks, and Portuguese sausage; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until potatoes and carrots are cooked; add more water if more broth is needed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add optional items if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste or optional ingredients):
400 calories, 14 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 70 mg cholesterol, 900 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 27 g protein