- In a non-reactive pot (anything that is not copper, aluminum or cast iron), combine sugar, vinegar, and mirin.
- On medium, heat solution until sugar is dissolved.
- Add chilies and let cool.
- Papayas should be firm and green with a hint of yellow.
- It is important that the flesh has some color but is still firm and crunchy.
- Skin papayas, cut in half and remove seeds.
- Slice crosswise as thinly as possible.
- In a large non-reactive, bowl sprinkle papaya with sea salt.
- Mix thoroughly and let sit about 10 minutes until papaya is limp.
- Rinse and drain.
- Mix with vinegar mixture.
- Pack in sterilized jars or containers and place in the refrigerator.
- Papaya is ready to eat when it turns translucent, about 12 hours.
Makes about 32 1-ounce servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
45 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 10 g sugar, 0 g protein