- Boil 3 cups of water with cabbage, salt, sausage and bacon fat until leaves are tender.
- Mix 1 cup cold water with the cornmeal.
- Add to boiled mixture and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour into 9-inch by 9-inch pan, so mixture is about 3/4 inch thick and chill.
- Slice, heat and serve.
- Another option of serving it is to slice, flour, and fry in butter until browned.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: An average lemon yield about one tablespoon of zest. If you're using a bunch of lemons to make lemonade, zest them first and freeze for later use.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (with vegetable oil):
330 calories, 14 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 9 g protein