- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm butter and oil.
- Add onions, salt and pepper.
- Cook until onions are caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over onions; stir to blend.
- Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a small bowl; soak bread in milk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine beef and egg.
- Stir in bread mixture, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mayonnaise, oyster sauce, onion, salt and pepper.
- Form into 8 patties.
- In a separate skillet, heat oil over high heat.
- Brown patties; cook on medium-high heat until 3/4 done, about 15 minutes, flip, then cook until done.
- Transfer to a plate; keep warm.
- Pour 1/2 cup broth into skillet, scraping any browned bits in skillet.
- Add caramelized onions.
- Stir in remaining broth until thickened.
- Return hamburger patties to skillet.
- Heat through.
Tip: To make a loco moco, serve with a sunnyside egg over hamburger, a scoop of rice, and cover with gravy.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including loco moco ingredients):
340 calories, 23 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 90 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 19 g protein