Moroccan Eggplant Dip
Featured in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on July 14, 2010.
1 large round eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup chopped Chinese parsley
- Dice eggplant.
- In a large skillet, heat oil.
- Add eggplant, tomato sauce, garlic, green pepper, cumin, sugar, salt, red pepper, and vinegar.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick.
- Chill several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, stir in Chinese parsley.
- Serve with raw vegetables, wedges of Arab pocket bread, or slices of party-style rye or pumpernickel bread.
Makes 3 cups; about 18 servings.
Approximate nutrient analysis per serving (not including dipping bread or vegetable):
40 calories, 2.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 1 g protein