Monterey Chicken Sandwich
Demonstrated by: Executive Chef Sky Ogata of Big City Diner.
Sandwich, Salads & Sides on August 1, 2002.
4 (6 oz size) boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup Tequila Lime marinade (see recipe below)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
4 slices roasted red pepper*
1/2 cup caramelized onion rings**
8 slices jack cheese
4 potato roll buns
Lettuce leaves, tomato slices, red onion slices
- Marinate chicken in the Tequila Lime Dressing for several hours in refrigerator.
- In a skillet, cook chicken with barbecue sauce.
- Top each chicken breast with pepper, onion, and cheese.
- Cover skillet and cook until cheese is melted.
- Place in buns with lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
Makes 4 servings.
*Place a whole red pepper in a 400°F oven. Turning every 5 minutes, cook pepper for about 20 minutes or until puffy and dark-colored: let cool. Peel pepper; cut in half, remove seeds and slice pepper.
**Slice onion into 1/4-inch rings. In a heavy skillet, heat a little oil or butter; add onion. Stirring frequently, cook over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until onion is caramel colored.