Molho Escabeche (Vinegar Marinade)
Featured in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on September 17, 2014.
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped Maui Onion
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Hawaiian salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and saute onion until translucent.
- Reduce heat, add garlic, bay leaf, and saffron and cook until it becomes aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add parsley, paprika, and cinnamon.
- Heat through and remove from heat.
- Add both vinegars, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well and pour over grilled fish or serve on the side.
Makes 1 1/2 cups.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per tablespoon serving (not including salt to taste):
50 calories, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 0 g protein