- Heat oven to 385°F.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugars, and garlic powder.
- Add malunggay leaves.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour until pieces are about pea size.
- Add buttermilk and whole milk to flour mixture; stir until moistened.
- Scrape mixture onto a heavily floured flat surface.
- Sprinkle top of mixture lightly with flour.
- Press dough together and flatten.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough evenly to 1-inch thick.
- Use a metal scraper to fold dough in half.
- Flour lightly, if necessary, on top and under dough to keep it from sticking.
- Roll out dough once more to 1-inch thick, and fold again.
- Repeat process 2 to 3 more times working quickly so butter stays chilled.
- Cut dough using a 2-inch biscuit cutter; arrange on baking pan.
- Whisk egg wash ingredients in a small bowl; brush tops of dough with egg wash.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until tops are golden brown.
Makes 25 biscuits.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per biscuit:
170 calories, 8 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 300 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 3 g protein