- Place malassadas in large buttered casserole or 9-by-13 baking dish; the pieces should be small.
- In a bowl, blend together non-fat half-and-half, eggs, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and spice.
- Pour mixture over malassadas, covering evenly.
- Press bread under liquid.
- (If mixture seems dry, stir in 1/2 cup additional half-and-half.)
- Let stand for 30 minutes or more or cover and refrigerate overnight, if desired.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Place baking dish in another pan such as your oven roasting pan and fill that pan with hot water until it comes halfway up the sides of the bread pudding dish.
- Bake 60-65 minutes, until bread pudding is set and not soupy.
Fun fact: Malassada is spelled with two ss’s; in Portuguese, one “s” is pronounced as a “z”!
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on whole milk):
360 calories, 23 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 23 g sugar, 7 g protein