- Heat oven to 275°F.
- Place kuromame, shoyu, sugar and 6 cups water in a Dutch oven or heavy 3-quart saucepan, cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Transfer immediately to oven, and braise for 2 hours.
- Or place ingredients in slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 3 hours.
- While beans are cooking, bring 4 cups water to boil in a saucepan.
- Add chestnuts, and simmer until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain, cool and quarter.
- Set aside.
- Add chestnuts and salt to beans, stir, cover and cook 1 hour more (or longer in slow cooker).
- Taste beans for doneness.
- When tender, remove from heat.
- Serve at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
400 calories, 13 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 800 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g sugar, 25 g protein