- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until finely chopped but not pasty.
- In a large bowl stir together nuts, flour, zest and salt.
- Add sugar, cream, corn syrup and butter to a small saucepan.
- Over medium heat, stir occasionally, until the mixture comes to a rolling boil and sugar is completely dissolved.
- Continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, then pour into almond mixture.
- Stir just to combine.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle, 30 minutes.
- Scoop rounded teaspoons (for 3-inch cookies) of batter and roll into balls.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3-4 inches between each cookie.
- Bake 1 pan at a time, until cookies are thin and an even golden brown color throughout, rotating pans halfway through baking time, about 10-11 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per small thin cookie:
40 calories, 2.5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 1 g protein