- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole. Sift flour with baking powder, sugar, and salt; add caraway seeds.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse corn meal; add raisins.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, and baking soda; stir into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly until just smooth; shape into ball.
- Place in prepared casserole.
- With a sharp knife, cut a cross 1/4-inch deep on top of loaf.
- Brush with yolk or cream.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool in casserole 10 minutes; remove and cool before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf (about 12 servings).
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per Serving:
310 calories, 6 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 27 g sugar, 7 g protein