- Line bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with parchment; coat parchment and sides of pan with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Set aside.
- Fill a medium pot with salted water.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Add rice; boil for 5 minutes, then drain.
- In a large pot, bring water and half-and-half to a simmer.
- Add sugar, vanilla seeds remaining butter and lemon zest, whisking until sugar dissolves and seeds are well incorporated.
- Add rice and return to a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until liquid is absorbed, then spread on a rimmed baking sheet and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Transfer cooled rice to a large bowl.
- Add lightly beaten egg yolks to rice and mix well.
- Stir in cherries.
- Add salt to egg whites and whip to medium peaks; fold into rice mixture.
- Transfer mixture into cake pan; bake for about 75 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool; drizzle with honey.
Makes 10 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
330 calories, 18 g fat, 11 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 6 g protein