- Wash and pat dry chicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large pot, sauté onions in oil until translucent.
- Do not burn.
- Take pot off the heat* and stir in paprika until smooth.
- Add the chicken pieces, skin side down, and coat with paprika-onion mixture.
- Add ½ cup water, stir, and return pot to stove.
- Bring to a quick boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until chicken is tender, turning once.
- Add water as needed to always have about ½ cup of liquid to braise (not boil) the chicken.
- When chicken is cooked, remove from heat; mix in sour cream to paprika sauce.
- Serve with nokedli (egg dumplings) or your favorite starch.
Makes 4 servings.
*It is very important to take the pot off the heat while adding the paprika or the paprika will become very bitter.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste nor Nokedli):
530 calories, 42 g fat, 13 g saturated fat, 170 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 34 g protein