- Set aside 1 tablespoon of chick peas for garnish.
- Place remaining chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt into blender.
- Add enough water to fill the blender to just below the top of the chick peas.
- Puree until well blended.
- If a thinner consistency is desired, add more water.
- Pour hummus into a serving bowl.
- Garnish edge with finely chopped parsley.
- Mound the 1 tablespoon of reserved chick peas in the center with a few leaves of parsley.
- Optional: Arabic custom is to pour a small amount of olive oil over the top of the hummus.
- Hummus may be served as an appetizer or as a side dish and is usually served with pita bread.
Makes about 2 cups.
Approximate nutrient analysis per 1/4 cup serving (not including optional olive oil garnish):
90 calories, 3.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 4 g protein