- In a skillet, melt butter and saute onions and apples until onions are clear.
- Stir in flour, curry powder, sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- Cook over very low heat for about 30 minutes or until onions and apples are very soft and caramelized.
- Slowly stir in stock and coconut milk.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Sauce may be strained if desired, and may be refrigerated overnight or frozen; reheat on low heat.
- Before serving, add salt and shellfish or meat to sauce.
- Heat thoroughly but do not allow to boil or sauce will curdle.
Makes 8 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on shellfish):
250 calories, 16 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 750 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 10 g protein
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on chicken):
270 calories, 17 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 750 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 13 g protein