- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes, broccoli, bell pepper, onion, salt, and black pepper.
- Cook 8-10 minutes, or until potatoes start to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Spoon hash onto plates and top with poached eggs.
Notes: To poach means simply to cook gently in a liquid that's lightly boiling. Typically, plain water with a bit of white vinegar (to keep the egg whites together) is used to poach eggs.
- In a saucepan, bring 1-3 inches of water to a boil.
- Reduce heat enough to keep the water simmering gently.
- Break an egg into a custard cup or bowl.
- Holding the dish close to the water's surface, gently slip the egg into water; repeat with additional eggs, one at a time.
- Cook eggs for 3-5 minutes, until the whites are completely set and the yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove and drain.
Makes 4 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
300 calories, 17 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 370 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 16 g protein