- Wash tripe thoroughly in cold water; remove excess fat.
- Put tripe into a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Add 2 teaspoons of salt; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until tender.
- Cut tripe into 1 1/2 x 1/4-inch strips.
- In a saute pan on medium heat, fry bacon until crisp.
- Add tripe and brown lightly.
- Stir in garlic and vinegar; cook 2 minutes.
- Add onion and cook until clear.
- Stir in tomato sauce, parsley, water, pepper, and remaining salt; cook 10 more minutes.
Tip: When cleaning tripe, scrape the surface with the spine of a sharp knife to remove any imperfections. When cleaning honeycomb tripe, use a clean new toothbrush to remove imperfections.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
250 calories, 8 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 270 mg cholesterol, 1200-1600 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 36 g protein