- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar.
- Add condensed milk and salt.
- Add flour slowly and mix well.
- Shape into a ball and cut in half.
- Place 1/2 of the dough in pan and spread evenly.
- Top dough with pie filling.
- Top filling with remaining dough, pat gently.
- Brush egg on top of dough.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let it cool completely before cutting
Tip #1: Condensed milk is a dense mixture of milk solids from which 60% of its water has been removed and sugar has been added.
Tip #2: Evaporated milk can be used as a substitute for condensed milk by adding 1 1/4 cups of sugar to 1 cup of evaporated milk. Heat until sugar completely dissolves and cool.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (based on apple filling):
310 calories, 17 g fat, 10 g saturated fat, 50 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g sugar, 4 g protein