- Heat oven or grill to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Melt butter in saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook onions until fragrant and slightly brown while stirring occasionally, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, rolled oats, milk, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and cooked onions and garlic.
- Use hands to mix well, but do not overwork the meat.
- Shape into an 8x4-inch loaf on baking sheet.
- Use sharp knife to cut a criss cross pattern on top.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- While meatloaf is cooking, combine ketchup, mustard and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- After 40 minutes of cooking, spread ketchup mixture over the top of the meatloaf and continue baking for about 30-35 minutes to an internal temperature of 160°F.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: Replacing 1 cup of rolled oats for 1 cup of bread crumbs has about 75 percent less calories, 30 percent less carbohydrates, zero sodium and double the amount of fiber than bread crumbs.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
330 calories, 21 g fat, 8 g saturated fat, 105 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 24 g protein