- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Prepare bread mix according to package directions.
- In a saucepan, heat oil on medium high and stir fry char siu for 30 seconds.
- Add onions, sugar, shoyu and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and cornstarch with water.
- Stir into char siu.
- Cook until mixture thickens; cool.
- Knead dough on a floured board until no longer sticky, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 equal-sized pieces and flatten.
- Put a tablespoon of char siu mixture in center of each; form buns by pulling dough up and around filling.
- Pinch to seal seams.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover loosely with a towel and let rise until doubled.
- Bake buns for 13 to 15 minutes.
- Brush tops with honey while hot.
Makes 12 buns.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per bun:
450 calories, 10 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 30 mg cholesterol, 850 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g sugar, 13 g protein