- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread rice evenly in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove Meyer lemon zest in large strips.
- Cut lemon in half and reserve 1 tablespoon of juice; set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat coconut oil over medium-high.
- Add mustard seeds and cook until seeds begin to pop, about 3 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, curry leaves, and salt and pepper.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, carefully pour over rice.
- Add lemon zest and cover with foil.
- Cook in oven for 25 minutes; remove and let sit covered for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the cinnamon, sticks, curry leaves, and lemon zest.
- Before serving, melt butter in a small pan.
- When butter begins to bubble add lemon juice.
- Swirl together and pour over rice.
- Use a fork to toss.
Makes 5 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including salt to taste):
360 calories, 15 g fat, 9 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 10 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 6 g protein