- Using a fork, pierce cotechino over the surface and place in a large pot with chopped onions, bay leaf, peppercorns and thyme.
- Cover with water and turn heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- (If using precooked cotechino, only need to simmer for 20 minutes).
- In another large pot combine lentils, quartered onions, garlic, bay leaf, carrot, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with 4 cups of water, heat to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Remove the onion, garlic, bay leaf and carrot and discard.
- Using a slotted spoon remove lentils and place on a serving dish, drizzle with olive oil, slice cotechino and place over lentils.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving (not including to salt to taste):
620 calories, 20 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 450 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 27 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 41 g protein