- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil over medium low heat in a large nonstick skillet.
- Add onions, cover, and cook 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until caramelized.
- While onions are cooking, in a small frying pan over medium heat, add chopped apples, remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter, and brown sugar; sauté for 10 to 12 minutes, or until apples are softened and lightly browned; set aside.
- Wipe pan clean and place bacon in it.
- Sauté over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until crispy, stirring occasionally; drain on paper towels.
- To assemble, place caramelized onions, cooked apples and bacon, and salt in a small bowl and mix well.
- Evenly distribute the mixture among the mini phyllo shells.
- Top evenly with crumbled gorgonzola.
Makes 13 servings.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
120 calories, 7 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 3 g protein