- In a large bowl, stir together 3 cups flour and yeast.
- In a small saucepan, heat on medium-low and stir evaporated milk, water, granulated sugar, shortening, and salt just until shortening is almost melted.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture.
- Add eggs.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Place dough in a greased bowl; turn once to grease the surface.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 4 to 24 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll into an 18-by-12-inch rectangle; cut into 36 3-by-2-inch rectangles.
- Cover; let rest 20 minutes (dough will not double).
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep saucepan.
- Fry a few dough rectangles at a time in hot oil about 1 minute or until beignets are golden brown on both sides, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining beignets.
- Generously sift powdered sugar over beignets.
Serve warm. Makes 3 dozen.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per Beignet (not including powdered sugar):
170 calories, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 3 g protein