- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; remove from heat, add the water, milk, salt, sugar, and eggs.
- Add mixture to dissolved yeast, stirring well.
- Add 10 cups of the flour; mix well.
- Knead by hand for about 5 minutes, adding the remaining flour as necessary.
- Oil dough to prevent sticking as the dough rises in bowl.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease baking pans.
- Punch dough down and shape into rolls.
- Place in prepared pans, cover and let rise for 1 to 1-1/2 more hours.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
Makes 6 dozen dinner rolls.
To make cinnamon rolls:
- On floured board, roll dough 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread 1 cup softened butter or margarine over dough.
- Sprinkle 1 pound brown sugar and 1/3 cup ground cinnamon over butter.
- Roll dough lengthwise like a jelly roll and cut into 1-inch slices.
- Place slices, cut-side up, on greased baking pans.
- To bake, follow same procedure as the dinner rolls.
- To make frosting, whip 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1 cup softened butter or margarine.
- Gradually add 1 pound powdered sugar; beat until smooth.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Spread over hot rolls.
Makes 3 dozen rolls.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per roll:
120 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 25 mg cholesterol, 125 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 3 g protein
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per cinnamon roll:
450 calories, 21 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 85 mg cholesterol, 350 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g sugar, 7 g protein