- Cook potatoes in water to cover until potatoes are tender; drain and mash.
- In a saucepan, bring the 1/2 cup water and the sugar to a boil; lower heat and cook until sugar is dissolved.
- Mix into potatoes; set aside.
- Preheat electric oven to 425°F.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add ice water, a little at a time, using just enough to moisten mixture.
- Knead lightly; divide into 24 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 4-inch circle.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of potato mixture into center of each circle.
- Mold pastry around filling to form a bun.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets; brush with milk.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 24 manju.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per manju:
270 calories, 16 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 3 g protein