- In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, and egg.
- Whisk flour mixture into buttermilk mixture just until moistened, with small to medium lumps remaining.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet or griddle.
- Cook bacon over medium-high until fat is rendered and bacon is browned on both sides.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Pour out fat from skillet; set aside.
- Heat skillet and 1 teaspoon fat over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet and top each with a bacon slice.
- Flip with a spatula and cook until browned on both sides.
- Repeat with remaining batter adding more bacon fat with each batch.
- Serve with warmed maple syrup.
Makes 8 pancakes.
Tip: Refrigerate your leftover bacon fat; just a little can go a long way. Use it to add full flavor to your fried rice or roasted vegetables.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per bacon pancake (not including maple syrup):
200 calories, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 6 g protein