- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy.
- Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving about a tablespoon of bacon fat in the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add onion and shallots to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the onions are caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, brown sugar, maple syrup, vinegar, chili powder and cooked bacon.
- Bring mixture to a simmer then reduce heat to low.
- Cook until liquid has reduced and thickened and onions are the consistency of jam, about 7-10 minutes.
- Let cool before transferring to a jar.
- Serve with cheese and crackers or as a topping on a hamburger.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or freeze.
Makes about 1 cup.
Approximate Nutrient Analysis per Tablespoon serving:
70 calories, 3 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 0 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 2 g protein