Hawaiian Electric to upgrade equipment in Chinatown next week, requiring two outages
Lane closures set for next week Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
Release Date: 7/31/2018
HONOLULU, July 31, 2018 – Hawaiian Electric crews will be upgrading the electrical distribution system in Chinatown next week, which requires three days of lane closures, and outages on Monday, Aug. 6, and Thursday, Aug. 9.
Crews will replace utility poles, transformers and conductors, as well as string new power lines. The work is being done to improve service reliability and provide capacity for future growth in Chinatown.
Hawaiian Electric has notified about a dozen customers who will be affected by an outage Monday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. About 100 businesses and 50 residential customers have been notified of the second scheduled outage from 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9, to 6 a.m. Friday, Aug. 10.
Customers who have not been contacted by Hawaiian Electric through a letter, phone call or visit will not experience an outage.
The road closures are as follows:
- From 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 6, and Tuesday, Aug. 7, Smith Street will be closed from Pauahi Street to Beretania Street
- From 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9, Pauahi Street will be closed in both directions from Bethel Street to Nuuanu Avenue
- From 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9, to 6 a.m. Friday, Aug. 10, note the following closures:
- Maunakea Street from Beretania to about Hotel Street
- Smith Street from Pauahi to Beretania
- Pauahi Street in both directions from Maunakea to beyond Nuuanu Avenue
- Nuuanu Avenue from Pauahi to Chaplain Lane
For questions about the upcoming work, please call 543-7777. Information about the project can be found at www.hawaiianelectric.com/Chinatown; traffic and outage updates will be shared through the company's Twitter account: @HwnElectric.