Sun Power for Schools
Waianae High School
On January 20, 1998, Hawaiian Electric's Sun Power for Schools program installed a 2-kilowatt (2,000 watts) rooftop solar system on Waianae High School's Building U that now provides some of the electricity used at the school.
- Two kilowatts (kW) rated peak
- Eight 4x6 foot panels, weighing 110 pounds each (Manufacturer: ASE, Type: ASE-300-DB/50-285)
- DC and AC disconnection switches
- SMA SunnyBoy 2500U inverter to convert DC current to AC
- Data acquisition system (Data collection can be monitored and analyzed by students as part of integrated renewable energy lessons)