Through the lens of an intern at Hawaiian Electric
Learn more from a personal account of what it is like to be a summer intern. Read more >
To explore available opportunities and become a partner in our vision, please create an account and apply for a vacant position at our Careers Site.
Oahu Summer Internship Program
Here is information on how to apply if you are interested in a summer student internship at Hawaiian Electric.
- The job vacancy notice for the Summer Intern positions are posted on our Careers page in November.
- Interested applicants should apply online prior to the close of the job vacancy posting period. In addition to submitting an online application, the applicant will need to provide the following:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts
- A resume that includes the student's major(s), current student status, and current GPA
The Summer Internship Program is open to students of an accredited college/university in their Junior or Senior year.
- Summer Interns are paid an hourly wage
- Summer Interns are eligible for the same benefits that are provided to temporary full-time employees
- Summer Interns usually start in May (or when their semester ends) and leave in August (or when they return to school). The start and end dates are flexible and may be worked out with the hiring supervisor.
The Company prefers students:
- With a grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Who are actively involved in extracurricular activities
- Who are team players
- With a strong work ethic
- With strong written and verbal communication skills
The Summer Internship Program looks for students majoring in:
- Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, and Civil/Structural)
- Information Computer Science
- Management Information Systems
- Environmental Science
- Other related majors