Our Story

The War Years

Our Story

With the advent of World War II, sales escalated even further. After the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Honolulu was placed under a strict blackout and the government spent $300,000 to reinforce Hawaiian Electric Company's primary power plants against further air attacks. But even the blackout didn't lessen the need for electric energy. On the contrary, with on-island U.S. troops working around the clock, the company built two 44,000-volt lines to service military bases. Hawaiian Electric power plants at Honolulu and Waiau furnished more than one million kilowatt hours of electricity each day at the height of the war effort. The wartime blackout was lifted in May 1944 and martial law ended that fall.

Post-war Boom

As Hawaiian Electric entered its sixth decade, the entire island of Oahu had been electrified and some 52,000 customers were on its books. In 1950, a total of 66 new subdivisions were developed. Hawaiian Electric's new 116,000-KW downtown Honolulu power plant became operational in 1954.

Our Story

The granting of statehood in 1959 and the arrival of the first passenger jet transport made Hawaii one of the premier vacation destinations in the world. For the 50th State, it was to be a period of astounding economic growth. Over the next 10 years, Hawaiian Electric's plants and facilities increased by as much as they had during the entire history of the company.

A new multi-million dollar airport was built, and the University of Hawaii was expanded. Ala Moana Shopping Center -- first opened in 1959 -- completed a second phase in 1966 to become the largest shopping center in the country at the time. Tourism boomed, new hotels mushroomed and in 1967, Hawaii's visitor count topped the million mark. Highways and freeways were under construction -- and everything and everyone required electric power.

After seven years of research into population growth and residential and industrial expansion, Hawaiian Electric began building a new power plant at Kahe in west Oahu. In 1963, the state's first reheat steam turbine generator went on line at Kahe. Today, Kahe has six units with a total generating capacity of 650,000 KW.