skip to main content

top banner alert icon

The moratorium on disconnections has ended and payment arrangement options are available. Read our latest COVID-19 updates.

Our Story

Growth Continues

In 1953, Hilo Electric purchased the Kohala Ditch transmission and distribution system in Kohala and took over the electric service to all of Kohala. The franchise was sold to Hilo Electric, and on August 9, 1954, Hilo Electric completed construction of a transmission line which tied Kohala to Kamuela.

A small piece of land in Kamuela was purchased from the Territory of Hawaii and construction completed for the house of three small Navy surplus diesel generators which had formerly powered landing craft. The line was extended from Honokaa, and an additional line crossing the island was built along the Saddle Road, connecting Hilo to the new switching station in Kamuela.