- Our Vision
- Our Commitment
- Our Story
- Power Facts
- Key Performance Metrics
Integrated Grid Planning
Planning Hawaii's Grid for Future Generations
The Hawaiian Electric Companies developed a Grid Modernization Strategy filed with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission (PUC) on August 29, 2017. As part of the Grid Modernization Strategy, we proposed a new planning process that integrates the needs at all levels of the system: customer, bulk power resources, transmission, and distribution. The process would engage customers and stakeholders at key junctures in the integrated resource, transmission, and distribution planning effort.
We filed our Power Supply Improvement Plans with the PUC on December 23, 2016, outlining our near-term actions that will lead to the use of renewable resources to meet 100 percent of Hawaii's power generation needs by 2045.
- Renewable Energy Planning Principles
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Executive Summary
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 1
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 2
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 3
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 4
Through Order No. 34696 accepting the Hawaiian Electric Companies' Power Supply Improvement Plans, the PUC directed the Hawaiian Electric Companies to file with the commission "a report that details the Companies' planning approach and schedule for the next round of integrated planning. The Companies shall file this report with the Commission no later than March 1, 2018."
This web page will be regularly updated throughout the Integrated Grid Planning process, with strategy documents and filings, workshop information, presentations, and public comments that have been submitted.
- On July 12, 2018, PUC opens docket and invites public comments on our Integrated Grid Planning Report.
- With a renewed focus on comprehensive energy planning, the Hawaiian Electric Companies proposed an Integrated Grid Planning process that we believe will benefit customers by identifying the best options to affordably move Hawaii toward a reliable, resilient clean energy future with minimal risk. In addition, we believe the State will benefit from expanded market opportunities for resource, grid services, and non-wires alternatives for transmission and distribution ("T&D"), which can foster innovative solutions for a new energy economy.
Integrated Grid Planning Documents
- On July 13, 2018, we filed our Integrated Grid Planning report in Docket No. 2018-0156.
- March 01, 2018 - Integrated Grid Planning Report
Hawaii Public Utilities Commission Orders
- Order No. 35569, Instituting a Proceeding to Investigate the Integrated Grid Planning (IGP) process (Docket No. 2018-0165, July 12, 2018)
- Order No. 34773, Opening a docket to serve as a repository for the GMS and any related filings/public comments (Docket No. 2017-0226, August 29, 2017)
- Order No. 34696, Instituting a Proceeding to Review the Power Supply Improvement Plans for the Hawaiian Electric Companies (Docket No. 2014-0183, July 14, 2017)
- The Hawaiian Electric Companies' Integrated Grid Planning Symposium was held on November 15 & 16, 2017.