- Our Vision
- Our Commitment
- Our Story
- Power Facts
- Key Performance Metrics
Integrated Grid Planning
Comprehensive, Customer-focused, and Cooperative Grid Planning ("C3GP") Process
The Hawaiian Electric Companies developed a Grid Modernization Strategy filed with the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission (PUC) on August 29, 2017. As part of the Grid Modernization Strategy, we proposed a new planning process that integrates the needs at all levels of the system: customer, bulk power resources, transmission, and distribution. The process would engage customers and stakeholders at key junctures in the integrated resource, transmission, and distribution planning effort.
We filed our Power Supply Improvement Plans with the PUC on December 23, 2016, outlining our near-term actions that will lead to the use of renewable resources to meet 100 percent of Hawaii's power generation needs by 2045.
- Renewable Energy Planning Principles
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Executive Summary
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 1
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 2
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 3
- Power Supply Improvement Plans (PSIP): Book 4
Through Order No. 34696 accepting the Hawaiian Electric Companies' Power Supply Improvement Plans, the PUC directed the Hawaiian Electric Companies to file with the commission "a report that details the Companies' planning approach and schedule for the next round of integrated planning. The Companies shall file this report with the Commission no later than March 1, 2018."
This web page will be regularly updated throughout the Integrated Grid Planning process, with strategy documents and filings, workshop information, presentations, and public comments that have been submitted.
- The Hawaiian Electric Companies' Integrated Grid Planning (IGP) Symposium 2017 will be held on November 15 & 16, 2017. The purpose of this grid planning Symposium will focus on leading practices and related planning technologies and tools across the US with participants from around the country and Hawaii. This Symposium is part of our effort to develop a new integrated grid planning process that will incorporate resource, transmission, and distribution planning to update and refine our plans to achieve our State's 100% renewable energy goal by 2045. See below for information on registering for the Symposium.
Integrated Grid Planning Documents
- Integrated Grid Planning Proposal - To be filed on March 1, 2018
Hawaii Public Utilities Commission Orders
- Order No. 34773, Opening a docket to serve as a repository for the GMS and any related filings/public comments (Docket No. 2017-0226, August 29, 2017)
- Order No. 34696, Instituting a Proceeding to Review the Power Supply Improvement Plans for the Hawaiian Electric Companies (Docket No. 2014-0183, July 14, 2017)
- The Hawaiian Electric Companies' Integrated Grid Planning Symposium was held on November 15 & 16, 2017.